Advice on external backup of a Linux server.

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Thu Feb 10 00:44:18 UTC 2005

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> What's the best solution for an unattended backup medium for a Linux
> server? I was looking at a USB externall HDD - but seems to me that
> the HDD would have to be turned on for the backup to done. I also
> looked at a Network Attached Storage (NAS) solution, but these started
> at $250.
>
> Any on the cheap ideas compatible with FC3?

I put a second drive in the same chassis and just rsync whatever I want
from the primary drive to the "backup" drive. I'm not concerned with
fire, flood or tornado destroying the whole box. Should anything happen
to the primary drive, I'd install a new one, bring up an O/S and move
back whatever I needed from the "backup". Cheap solution.

If you need a disaster recovery solution which means off site storage of
the backups, then a USB drive could be your "backup" drive utilizing the
same technique.

You could even swap between a few external drives so that you have a USB
drive in use, one on the shelf, one in the safety deposit box, one home,
one in the car, etc. Get as crazy as you like. :-)

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com
http://www.ycc.com