Making VNC behave like Windoze RDP

babobba babobba at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 00:55:59 UTC 2005

VNC:
I have personally used Xvnc
(http://www.csd.uwo.ca/staff/magi/doc/vnc/xvnc.html) as a X server
with automatic login.  I used to connect to this machine via a SSH
forwarded port (5900), just make sure you have enough bandwidth to
support your resolutions, etc..   I am currently using TightVNC 1.35
on the windows side (mirage driver rocks), and this should be
interchangeable with VNC on the *nix side.
NX:
I have also used nomachine's NX client to connect to VNC and X servers
alike with a good deal of success.  I had nomachine's nx server
installed, before their change to charging for it.  It required some
setup, but was fairly well documented.  I recently upgraded to Rick
Stout's nx builds
(http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/)succesfully,
however I repeatedly get disconnected and cannot resume (even after
changing the nx suspend/resume options).

At this time, I prefer TightVNC over FreeNX.  And to answer your
question, you need Xvnc to automatically login the user.  Check out
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5499 for how to setup the
autologin stuff.  If you really want dig further, the article mentions
"x0rfbserver", a bit older program and hard to find, but works just as
well.