Display goes bad, seemingly randomly, during install of FC3

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Thu Feb 10 01:39:23 UTC 2005

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> I'm currently talking my friend through and FC3 install over the
> phone. Her video card and monitor seem to get properly detected.
> However, seemingly randomly, the display goes bad as what she
> describes as a "barcode with color" like display. THe first time this
> happened on Anaconda launch. The second time happened while she was
> choosign the timezone on the map. The third happened while she was
> customizing the packages. As I type she's rebooting and start fresh
> from memory of my instructions.
>
> Any ideas on what ould be causign this? I've never encountered such
> before.

Try taking down the screen resolution a notch. Sounds like the monitor
can't take certain frequencies. By reducing your res, it MAY help. This
could be a bad/borderline monitor issue. See if X is configured with the
proper frequencies that the monitor can handle. Check the actual spec
for the monitor, and fix the config file manually if necessary.

Alternatively, on some MOBO's, the video is built in. The BIOS is
usually set at some minimum RAM size for the video. I ALWAYS up that to
32Meg. Even 64Meg if its available. If detection got the specs wrong it
can lead to what she's seeing.

Also, go thru the BIOS to make sure you have PLUG&PLAY set to yes since
FC3 can make use of additional BIOS input as part of the install
process. While in the BIOS, check all the settings for reasonableness,
and turn off stuff she'll never use like serial ports, parallel ports,
extra IDE channels, etc.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com