Need help: X GUI objects invisible

Bruce Elliott belliott4488 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 10 01:50:51 UTC 2005

Sorry if I'm not replying correctly ... I'm using the digest form of the
list, and I can't seem to reply to individual messages, so I edited the
digest version.  (I'll switch "Digest Mode" off in the future.)

Anyway, here is the Video section of my xorg.conf file:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    Driver      "i810"
    VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName   "Intel 810"
EndSection

And here is the controller part of the lspci output:

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82810E DC-133 CGC
[Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: Compaq Computer Corporation: Unknown device b165
    Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 3
    Memory at 44000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    Memory at 40200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

I hope that is useful.  What I'm planing to do is to resinstall the
smallest version of SuSE Linux that I can, in dual-boot mode (I hope
that won't clobber anything in the Fedora install, aside from borrowing
some disk space), and then to see what its xorg.conf looks like.  X had
run fine under SuSE, I just got rid of it because it was only the Server
edition (from my workplace) and had no application software.

I'll post anything useful that I learn.

thanks for the help,
Bruce