A bit perplexed...

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Feb 10 03:13:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 19:53 -0500, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Here's something I've had a bit of a problem figuring out.
>
> When someone says the "root filesystem", I automatically think of / and

/ is the root of all your filesystems.

> everything installed on it (/root, /usr, /etc, /var and so on, excluding
> of course /boot and swap) in one partition.

That is the common layout for home use.  Except many also have /home as
a separate filesystem/partition so data can be saved when doing a new
install.

> I usually setup my systems like so:
>
> /boot /dev/sdXX
> /root /dev/sdXX
> /usr  /dev/sdXX
> /etc  /dev/sdXX
> /var  /dev/sdXX
> /home /dev/sdXX
> /tmp  /dev/sdXX
>
> Or better yet, use LVM.

This setup _*requires*_ another partition as /.  You can have as many
additional partitions as desired, but MUST have /.
Your list above thus requires at least 9 partitions (/ and swap are not
listed).

Every partition you mount is a filesystem, and all are mounted on a
mount point (subdirectory) of / or below.