Linux && Win2k

Johnathan Bailes johnathan.bailes at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 05:28:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:45:33 +0000, Oded Hassidi <odedh13 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> How the hell can I access a Linux share through the Win2k system?
> Can it be done? Is it through SAMBA? If yes how?
>
> I'm a newbie,
>
> Thanks

By the way you can even do it all gui.  Add the share with the gui
samba config tool and then activate the services in the Services gui
but here is the real gotcha all the way around with Samba:

http://fedoranews.org/tchung/samba/

Check this out though it is focused on sharing out a printer.

The part that is crucial is the iptables part.

You can easily with no issues and little hassle set samba up but you
got leave a hole in the firewall or you are going to have no joy.

3. Configure iptables - Add following rules to your iptables to accept
NETBIOS session service from Windows.

$ sudo vi /etc/sysconfig/iptables

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 139 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m udp -p udp --dport 139 -j ACCEPT

$ sudo /sbin/service iptables restart