PC not booting

Jared Buck JBuck814366460 at aol.com
Thu Feb 10 05:30:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 22:20 -0500, Muhammad Ahmad wrote:
> I have a Pentium II system with 384 MB of RAM.  6G Hard Drive.  I
> installed core 3 and everything went smoothly.  Then the system tries
> to boot and fails.  It gives me a message like:
> acpi date of bios (1998) does not pass cut-off (2001), acpi = force
> must be used to start ACPI services
>
> Then the kernel starts to load and after initializing storage network
> sound I get this message and a blinking cursor
> kernel parameters:
>
> The system does not do anything after that.  It just stays there.
>
> The PC is a Micron Millenia.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Would you mind setting your email client so you don't send HTML mail?
It's a pain to read.

Since the date of the bios apparently doesn't match the bios needed for
the system to run, I would recommend that you visit Micron's website and
look to see if they offer an updated bios for download - this may fix
your problem.  Sometimes Linux will put up a fuss if the bios isn't
updated, this is my experience.

You might also try the suggestion given before about installing the GRUB
bootloader.  You need to have a bootloader on the system before the
system will boot properly.  If you don't want to use GRUb, LILO is
available as well.

Jared