Backup Fedora core 3 to Windows 2000

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 06:33:57 UTC 2005

Ugh.  I ran into the same situation a while back when a Linux class I
taught was in a windows client environment, and the server wasn't
'ghostable'.  although it wasn't ghost but another very similar tool.
The backup utility didn't support ext3 filesystem in this instance.

I think you need something like 'dd' that comes with Linux.  I have
heard there are some Linux/UNIX utilities like that that you can run
as an application/utility in windoze.  You might google for 'dd
windows' or something similar.  I found this for instance:

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite/dd.htm

Unfortunately I have not heard of any backup utility that does
multiplatform; even if the vendor supports it, Microsoft is making it
hard to do business with them, as usual.  If you have a gig or two of
data a dd type utility might be the way to go; otherwise I would
probably search downloads.com or linuxjournal.com or sourceforge.net
for comparable utilities.  Good luck.

Also if this is just a backup so you avoid screwing anything up with
the os, keep in mind that you can also just burn cd's of the data.
You don't have to burn the whole os, just certain directories such as
/home and /etc that contain key data; if anything happened it would be
possible to copy these back onto your system.

Marc