PC not booting

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Feb 10 08:13:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 22:20 -0500, Muhammad Ahmad wrote:
> I have a Pentium II system with 384 MB of RAM.  6G Hard Drive.  I
> installed core 3 and everything went smoothly.  Then the system tries
> to boot and fails.  It gives me a message like:
> acpi date of bios (1998) does not pass cut-off (2001), acpi = force
> must be used to start ACPI services
>
> Then the kernel starts to load and after initializing storage network
> sound I get this message and a blinking cursor
> kernel parameters:
>
> The system does not do anything after that.  It just stays there.
>
> The PC is a Micron Millenia.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

When the machine boots, press whatever key it is you need to get into
the grub menu (I can't remember what it is offhand). Then press "e" to
edit the default grub boot command. Remove "rhgb" and "quiet" from the
command (if present) and add "nofb" and "3" as additional parameters.
Then press return to try booting again. Does it get any further?

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>