Yum update

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 08:15:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:38:43 -0800, Jared Buck <JBuck814366460 at aol.com> wrote:
> This is a problem I have sometimes.  When updates are available, use the
> Red Hat Network Alert Icon under Apps --->  System Tools. Double click
> on the icon (it should be red with an !) to see what's for update.
>
> Close the window without doing anything, then reboot the machine
> (sometimes this problem is caused by leaving the machine on too long)
> and once you're back in Linux, head to the Terminal (also under System
> Tools)  then become root by typing su plus your password.
>
> Type yum update and it should work.
>
> Let me know if this doesn't - there are other solutions besides this
> one, but this is the one to try first.
>
> Jared

Actually, you could simply run yum update again. If your configuration
is calling for a mirror to connect to, you might simply have connected
to a mirror site that was not up to date yet. Running yum again may
point you to a different mirror that might be updated already. If that
fails, wait an hour and try again. Usually no need to reboot the whole
box.