mgetty SOLVED

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Thu Feb 10 12:14:57 UTC 2005

On Thursday 10 February 2005 10:35, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> Greetings guys
> I am struggling to understand how this works and how to setup up the most
> simple form of mgetty.
> I have the default version that is included in in FC3 mgetty-1.1.31-2
>
> Firstly what I am trying to do is this,
> We test all out faulty modems at our support desk,
> Instead of dialing out to an ISP and paying the phone bills, I would like
> to be able to dial-in using the the internal phone lines, to my server. I
> have equipped the server (an exaggerated PC)  with an external Duxbury Full
> Duplex 56K v90 serial modem
> The modem is installed and configured and works on dial out.
>

> The problem is that I have no understanding for how to get this working for
> dial-in.
>
> Is there some getting started with mgetty advice anyone here could offer
> please?
> Or if you prefer to use something else and can pass some advise on that, it
> would also be appreciated.
>
> The TLDP how-to just covers thing I don't know about, I doesn't cover my
> specific senario. ( As I would understand it)
>

> Thanks

I hate replying to myself:
Here is a very good how-to:
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/doc/howto/pppserver.html#id2466532

Just one question, which I am unsure of, it says it will use my local passwd
file. but how do I configure a user for dailin in the passwd file?

Chadley Wilson
Redhat Certified Technician
Cert Number: 603004708291270
Pinnacle Micro