Advice on external backup of a Linux server.

Felipe Alfaro Solana lkml at mac.com
Thu Feb 10 10:41:52 UTC 2005

On 10 Feb 2005, at 03:04, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> That's just funny and humerous :) In such a case, would two identical
> HDD's at software RAID 1 (which if I remember correctly is just
> mirroring) be good enough? OR would it be better to keep the
> backup/second HDD unmounted and just mount for a scripted backup?

RAID1 won't protect you from a disaster, like removing files from
accident, virus corruption, corruption due to a power failure, etc.
RAID1 is usually used to protect against HDD failures, not as a backup
solution.

You can also use LVM snapshots as a means for creating backups from
live production filesystems,