Advice on external backup of a Linux server.

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Thu Feb 10 12:16:21 UTC 2005

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> But I'd like to know what technologies (for lack of a better word) do
> you utilize to do the snapshoting?

I use rsync as the main engine to do the heavy lifting. I use a cron job
to run the backup as often as I want. There are other snapshot backup
utilities, scripts, procedures, etc, out on the web. Google for snapshot.

The key is to use a disk drive as the destination, and to not use
anything that compresses or in any way molests the files. You want to be
able to have an "end user" type simple point, click and copy a backup
file to whereever it needs to go without uncompressing or in any other
way manipulate the "backup" before its useable.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com
http://www.ycc.com