fedora extras not showing up on my yum update

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Feb 10 13:36:24 UTC 2005

A. Rick Anderson wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>

>>>You can get liboil from the freshrpms repo:
>>>http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=689
>>>
>>>I'm rather surprised to see a dependency on an external repo/package in
>>>fedora-extras.
>>>

>>file a bug report if that still exists. it shouldnt work that way
>>

> The problem appears to be different then that:
> ---> Package liboil.i386 0:0.3.0-1 set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: liboil-0.2.so.0 for package: gstreamer-plugins
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> ------------------
> /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron:
> Error: missing dep: liboil-0.2.so.0 for pkg gstreamer-plugins
>
> If I read these logs correctly, the problem may not be directly related
> to fedora-extras at all.  It might have just happened to occurred at the
> same time I was enabling fedora-extras by correcting the extension.  It
> seems that the liboil package was updated to 0.3, despite the fact that
> gstreamer-plugins was still dependent on the liboil 0.2 version.  Now it
> is complaining that liboil 0.2 isn't available.  At least that is what I
> think I am reading.

Ah, that makes more sense. It seems that the version of
gstreamer-plugins that you have installed was built against
liboil-0.2.so.0, which you have already installed too (obviously). There
is a later version of liboil in one of your repos but you can't install
the update because there isn't an updated version of gstreamer-plugins
built against liboil 0.3 available.

There are a variety of ways round this:

1. The repo containing gstreamer-plugins should rebuild it against
liboil 0.3 (best way).

2. Remove gstreamer-plugins if you don't need it.

3. Remove gstreamer-plugins, update liboil to 0.3 and then rebuild and
install gstreamer from the SRPM yourself.

There are probably other workarounds too.

Paul.