Advice on external backup of a Linux server.

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Feb 10 15:46:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 06:16, Bill Gradwohl wrote:

> The key is to use a disk drive as the destination, and to not use
> anything that compresses or in any way molests the files. You want to be
> able to have an "end user" type simple point, click and copy a backup
> file to whereever it needs to go without uncompressing or in any other
> way manipulate the "backup" before its useable.

Backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net) does compress, link and
otherwise molest the files to to the tune of getting at least 5X
more data on your backup drive (my real experience with a week's
history of 25 machines online at once).  However, it still presents
a simple browsable point/click interface to restore files (or just
download through the browser) and it has a concept of 'owners' for
the different machines to control access through the web interface.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com