Advice on external backup of a Linux server.

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Feb 10 15:57:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 22:11, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> Having considered your mindset, and knowing my client, I can
> confidentetly say that although they would like to SAY that they want a
> backup for a true dissaster, if I provide them with a quote for that
> service they will quickly change their mind. Your suggestion of in
> chasis drive backup, and not RAID seems very interesting, and I see your
> point where simple mirroring prooves useless for typical problems.

Simple mirroring can be valuable for the not-uncommon case of drive
failure and will avoid having any downtime or data loss as a result
(if you have hot-swap drives - otherwise you can take the system down
at a convenient time for the replacement).

However operator error and software bugs that delete/corrupt data
are much more likely and deserve keeping an on-line nightly snapshot
history available with a system like backuppc.  There are people running
backuppc from remote locations without too many problems.  If your
client already has another location with reasonable bandwidth or at
least a decent internet connection it might not cost that much to
set up.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com