Need help tweaking /proc/sys/vm/* files - FC3/SELinux/udev

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbservices.com
Thu Feb 10 17:04:03 UTC 2005

I've only had FC3 running on my Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop for about a
week. I'm stuck getting information on how to /tweak/configure the files
in proc/sys/vm/. I'm not happy with the way pdflush renders my system
unusable for minutes at a time, or how much RAM memory is normally used
up with only a couple of apps open.

System specs:

Celeron 600 MHz
256 MB RAM
ATi Rage Mobility 8 MB VRAM
20 GB HD
Swappable internal FD/CD-RW
Internal 56K
PCMCIA-2 slots

My research so far on the Web shows references
to /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt, but this doesn't
exist in my environment. I suspect because I don't have the kernel
source installed. I have none of the kernel documents I should have. Can
someone point me to an on-line source for how to configure these files,
or give me some pointers/settings that have turned out better for a low-
processing-power desktop or laptop? I'm just not finding much on my
own.

At the moment I have the readahead and readahead_early services not
running in the hope this will give me some more room to work in before I
have to cringe while waiting for my dirty laundry...er...dirty
pages...to be written to disk. :0)

TIA,

Paul
...an otherwise happy Fedora user