A bit perplexed...

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Thu Feb 10 17:20:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-02 at 09:19 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > I usually setup my systems like so:
> >
> > /boot /dev/sdXX
> > /root /dev/sdXX
> > /usr  /dev/sdXX
> > /etc  /dev/sdXX
> > /var  /dev/sdXX
> > /home /dev/sdXX
> > /tmp  /dev/sdXX
>
> /root, /etc, /bin, and /sbin should be on the root filesystem, not
> separated. That's why they're their own partitions. That way, if something
> goes wrong mounting other filesystems, you still have the basic utilities
> needed to fix it.

Whoops.  Got a little excited.  You are of course completely correct; I
have in fact always done that.

What I should have written was this:

/	/dev/sdXX
/boot	/dev/sdXX
/home	/dev/sdXX
/opt	/dev/sdXX
/tmp	/dev/sdXX
/usr	/dev/sdXX
/var	/dev/sdXX

Sorry for the brain fart!

> It'd still be /, which would (assuming you didn't follow the advice above),
> be empty except for containing mountpoints.

Again, my fault.  / has everything installed on one partition, except
for /var, /usr, /opt, /tmp, /home and /boot, which are all on their own
partitions.

Thanks to all who've responded.  I wasn't sure if my thoughts on this
were correct or even close, so I appreciate the tips and confirmation.

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu