Help: X Problem - ATI Rage XL PCI

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Feb 10 19:59:34 UTC 2005

Thiago Amaury Ferraz wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I am with a problem to configure my X.. on FC3.. I have a ATI Rage XL PCI
> video controller, VGA connector, 8M, and, when I try to use or to configure
> the X.. I don´t receive an error but I can´t use the X.. and the text mode
> has a crash.. the display stay black.. and I need to reboot the server..
>
> Someone knows how I can get a better driver.. or to configure to solve this
> problem?
>
> I´m gonna appreciate, really, any help!
> TAF

Try changing your xorg.conf with something  like these entries. I found
this with a search. I don't have this video controller type. Tis may or
may not do the trick.

Jim

http://www.cpqlinux.com/Linux-Installation-Guide.html

Here is a sample of the "Device" section in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file
for the RIB board:

Section "Device"
	### Available Driver options are:-
         #Option     "accel"
         #Option     "crt_screen"
         #Option     "composite_sync"
         #Option     "linear"
         #Option     "mmio_cache"
         #Option     "probe_clocks"
         #Option     "reference_clock"
         #Option     "shadow_fb"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "ati"
	VendorName  "ATI"
	BoardName   "Mach64 GV"
	ChipSet     "ati"
	ChipId      0x4756
	ChipRev     0x7a
	BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"
EndSection

We found that the only lines that change were the following 4 lines:

	BoardName   "Mach64 GV"
	ChipId      0x4756
	ChipRev     0x7a
	BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"

--
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the
crowd.  The