cd-rom won't read new burned Disc 1

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbservices.com
Thu Feb 10 20:21:39 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 14:58 -0500, jim lawrence wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm helping a friend out to install FC3.  He burned the ISO images on
> his notebook's CD-RW and wants to install FC3 onto a desktop he has.
> The CD-ROM on the Desktop will not read the CD's.  I had him check the
> burn CD's with his notebook, and the cd's burned fine, so the Fedora
> CD's are fine. What can I tell him about the CD-ROM he has in his
> Desktop?  Buy a new CD-RW ??
> --

This topic comes up a lot. Probably always will.

CD-RW drives vary in the speed in which they can burn at. Herein lies
much of the problem when trying to read a burned disc in another ROM
device. Some CD-ROM drives are not able to read CD-R's burned at fast
speeds (like over 8X). For this reason, I burn my distro ISO's at 4X
even though my burners are able to burn much faster. Even then I am not
guaranteed to have a disc that can be read on all of my machines. I have
four burners and the four will not necessarily read a CD-R burned from
one of the others. This becomes a real pain for me when archiving. :0/

I'm betting he did them at 12X or faster. However, if he did burn them
at 4X and they work on someone else's machine, but not yours, you should
consider the possibility that you have the problem, not him.

HTH

Paul