Problem with smb shares.

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Feb 10 20:35:28 UTC 2005

Maxim Eremeev wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> Wednesday, February 9, 2005, 7:06:25 PM, you wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 06:50:19 -0600, akonstam at trinity.edu
>><akonstam at trinity.edu> wrote:
>>
>>>I recently received a clarification from out Windows people that the
>>>share is really //trinity-tigers/users so technically smbmount is
>>>doing what it is advertised to do but Windows 2000 and XP allow you to
>>>mount one level below the share. I am getting the feeling that
>>>smbmount will not.
>

>>Aaron,
>

>>I'm sorry to differ from what your "Windows people" tell you, but I
>>have never seen any method for creating a mount that is a level below
>>where the mount point is.
>

>>For example, I have a Windows machine called "HOST" and I have created
>>a share called "DATA". Below data, I create another sub-directory (NOT
>>another share) called "FILES". From a remote window machine, I can map
>>a network drive (or what we are calling mounting) to
>>\\HOST\DATA but I can NOT mount to \\HOST\DATA\FILES
>

>>It just can't be done. You can only mount to the point of the share,
>>not the point of directories below the share.
>

> Which version of Windows do you use? I'll tell you one really scary
> thing: you can actually map the network drive to whatever level within
> the share you are pleased. That's how at least W2K and WXP work (don't
> really remember how it was in earlier versions). It will be like this
> even if you get connected to a Samba server. I would totally agree
> with the rest of your message. But the "Windows people" are right, it
> CAN be done.
> Regards,
> Maxim.

Using w9x versions, I could only map the listed shares and only mount
the directories at the \\server\share level. This would be given a drive
letter for DOS legacy programs. After assigning the drive a letter, I
would have to point the program at X:\subdir1\subdir2\ to get it to work.

For non legacy programs, I never even map a drive.
\\server\share\user\myhome\ would work without any problems diving to
this directory. From a windows machine to a windows lan, the password
seems to be dependent upon the server login and the shares on down the
line expect the same user/password for anything on the server.

Using samba from a linux box to a LAN required me to enter a password
for every subdirectory that I tried to access in smb:///server - (enter
username/password) - share  - (enter username/password). This was with
nautilus. Konquerer only required the password for the server, then you
could dive down through the shares to the directory desired.

Jim

--
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the
crowd.  The