no connection to postgres

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Feb 10 21:41:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 16:03 +0100, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> tried to connect to a postgres-database, and got the following:
>
> [roger at frodo]$ psql -U roger -h localhost
> Passwort:
> psql: FATAL:  »Password«-authentication for user roger not successful.

Try commenting out all the user restrictions in pg_hba.conf temporarily
and replace them all with just:

local   all   all            trust sameuser

Then restart the database service, log in as that user (who will not be
asked for a password), and use ALTER USER within psql to set a new
password. Then change your pg_hba.conf back, restart the service again,
and IN THEORY you should be OK.

I just started with PostgreSQL last week, but I already broke my
password once and this is how I fixed it. So it WORKEDFORME, but
YMMV. :-)

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>