cdplayer

Johnathan Bailes johnathan.bailes at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 22:00:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:29:29 +0000, David Fletcher
<fm_maillists at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 10 Feb 2005 03:00, mamadou wrote:
> > got the same problems
> > -the cd is on but where the hell is the sound ?
> > --fc3 is unable to mount my drives
> > I'd also like to know why is it so difficult to play mp3 under fc3 and work
> > at the same time ? why ?
> >
> > and I wonder if those who claimed "fc3 sucks are wrong
> >
> > mamadou :-?  :-?
> >

> > --
> > This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org
>
> I just built a new system and had the same problem - I couldn't get an audio
> CD to play. It's working now but I don't know what fixed it when I fiddled
> around with the sound mixer. But I do know that it comes through the analog
> cable I connected between the drive and motherboard - the sound stops when I
> pull it out.
>
> But I've now used Sound Juicer to rip everything to Ogg Vorbis files, which
> sound great played back through Rhythmbox. My only moan about Rhythmbox is
> the slight pop I can hear when it switches to the next file.
>
> Dave F

Yes but the switch completely to ogg for say a iPod owner is not so easy.

Then again follow the instructions to the letter in the fedorafaq and
all you will be missing are the win32 codecs for better quicktime
playback available at the mplayer site.  Copy those into your
/usr/lib/win32 dir after going through the instructions in the Fedora
Faq and you are set for multimedia.

The multimedia stuff is better done by the community than the distro anyway imo.