[FC3] MySQL TCP/IP Config

Øyvind Lode o-lode at online.no
Thu Feb 10 22:08:46 UTC 2005

> Can someone please tell me what I need to do in my /etc/my.cnf or can I
> just forward tcp 3306 to the server and it will work?
>
> -Øyvind

 > By default the Fedora Core setup of MySQL allows both UNIX socket
 > connections on the host itself as well TCP socket connections through
 > port 3306, either locally (localhost) or remotely (servername:3306).
 >
 > I do not understand what you think you need to forward. Did you or > your
 >users read the phpMyAdmin setup documentation? The main configuration
 >file contains:
 >
 >$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host']          = 'localhost'; // MySQL hostname >or
 >>IP address
 >$cfg['Servers'][$i]['port']          = '';          // MySQL port -
 >leave blank for default port
 >$cfg['Servers'][$i]['socket']        = '';          // Path to the
 >socket - leave blank for default socket
 >$cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type']  = 'tcp';       // How to connect >to
 >MySQL server ('tcp' or 'socket')
 >
 >which I feel is pretty self explanatory. If the MySQL server runs on >the
 >same host as the Apache with phpMyAdmin it is sufficient to use
 >localhost and socket. If the MySQL server is a different host you will
 >have to use the server's hostname or IP and tcp for the connect_type
 >setting. You can leave the port setting off if you didn't change the
 >default port 3306 to something different.
 >
 >Btw. the MySQL documentation contains the information to bind the >server
 >to a specific port:
 >
 >http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/MIRRORS/ftp.mysql.com/doc/en/Option_files.html
 >
 >Alexander

Hi

I have no problem understanding why you don't quite understand what I'm
talking about and that's because I don't know either what I'm talking
about... :)

I have completely misunderstood the whole phpmyadmin consept.
I posted this message whithout using my brain...

Sorry.
Thanks a lot for your info and help.

I will fix this now...

-Øyvind