cd-rom won't read new burned Disc 1

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Thu Feb 10 23:52:02 UTC 2005

Paul M. Bucalo wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 14:58 -0500, jim lawrence wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm helping a friend out to install FC3.  He burned the ISO images on
>>his notebook's CD-RW and wants to install FC3 onto a desktop he has.
>>The CD-ROM on the Desktop will not read the CD's.  I had him check the
>>burn CD's with his notebook, and the cd's burned fine, so the Fedora
>>CD's are fine. What can I tell him about the CD-ROM he has in his
>>Desktop?  Buy a new CD-RW ??
>>--
>>

>This topic comes up a lot. Probably always will.
>
>CD-RW drives vary in the speed in which they can burn at. Herein lies
>much of the problem when trying to read a burned disc in another ROM
>device. Some CD-ROM drives are not able to read CD-R's burned at fast
>speeds (like over 8X). For this reason, I burn my distro ISO's at 4X
>even though my burners are able to burn much faster. Even then I am not
>guaranteed to have a disc that can be read on all of my machines. I have
>four burners and the four will not necessarily read a CD-R burned from
>one of the others. This becomes a real pain for me when archiving. :0/
>
>I'm betting he did them at 12X or faster. However, if he did burn them
>at 4X and they work on someone else's machine, but not yours, you should
>consider the possibility that you have the problem, not him.
>
>HTH
>
>Paul

I have the same problem on an older desktop machine, Jim.  CDs were
burned at 4x on my FC2 system, but the CD-Rom on the Pentium class
(166Mhz-MMX) will not read the CDs.  (The CD-ROM is supposedly a 4X
drive, but it dates to mid-1990s.)  Based on Paul's input, I would try a
2X burn  if I could get the machine to boot again.