MAJOR gnome problems/crashes after FC2->FC3 upgrade :-(

Neil Bird neil at fnxweb.com
Fri Feb 11 09:03:47 UTC 2005

   After upgrading to FC3 last W/E from FC2 (all latest updates
applied), the back-end OS stuff is all working without a hitch
(networking/mail/usb/etc.).

   But gnome's borked.  gnome-background-properties crashes during
thumbnail creation (but not sure that's the issue).  gconf-editor
crashes at start-up.  The window-list applet only displays it's
drag-button plus I *think* a 1-pixel-wide display.  The system monitor
applet either won't start or is displaying nothing (in which case I've
probably 4-5 of them now).  (Oh, and the main system menu only displays
text;  the icons have gone.  Is that right?)

   And those are only the ones I've found.  I've tried my guest account;
  I wiped *every* .[a-z]* file/dir. in there, and then logged in & tried
to change the background:  same crash.  I've not yet checked the other
issues.

   I got the debuginfo RPMs for control-center (background props.) and
gconf-editor.  Although it shows me the source, gdb (ddd) reports 'no
symbol in current context' (or whatever it says) for any variable I can
select in the background props. crash.

   With gconf-editor, it crashes after a call to (thinks)
gconf_client_get (don't recall the key).  It returns NULL (access to
which causes the actual crash) but leaves the *err pointer ALSO NULL;
(the code just checks whether there's an 'err' before going ahead and
de-ref.ing the return result).  I don't think that that [missing check]
is the bug per se., but a symptom of whatever's wrong.

   I noticed a while back that I'd stopped getting ~/.xsession-errors
files;  all users were getting them put into in /tmp under their
name/process-id.  I'm now not getting either (no new logs in /tmp OR
$HOME), so I can't even see if there are any obvious errors.  I'll run
up a gnome-session from the command line when I get home & see if
there's anything there.

   I've had a good google around, but I can't see anyone else having
this problem.

   I really would rather fix this that have the daunting task of a
re-install and re-application of all config. settings/user+account
settings, although I reckon that's on the cards over Summer, maybe with
FC4 (I've only done upgrades since my first install of RH6.1 back in 2000).

--
[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature