mgetty

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Feb 11 12:13:27 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 05:41:17AM -0600, James Kaufman wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 06:45:54PM +0000, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > Here is where I am at after following the instructions on the link provided
> > earlier:
> >
> > I dialup and I get to logging on to network then the mgetty just dies and
> > kicks me out of my ssh session.
> >
> > as you can see
> >

> > [root at chadlap chadley]# ssh preload
> > root at preload's password:
> > Last login: Thu Feb 10 18:28:03 2005 from chadlap
> > [root at preload root]# /sbin/mgetty ttyS0 -D ttyS0 -s 115200
> > Connection to preload closed.
> > [root at chadlap chadley]#
> >
> > How can I find out why it is dying on me and kicking me out of the ssh
> > session?
> >
> > I presume it has to do with the authentication but I can't seem to get it to
> > authenticate.
> >
> > I have allowed ppp0 on my firewall and I have also set a passwd for a user
> > copied from the example also ppp
> >
> > please could some-one more knowledgeable help out here!

 As usual I am confused. On a ppp server , which I assume preload is
 supposed to be, one starts mgetty by having a line in the /etc/initab
 file as follows:
 S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty  -s 115200 /dev/ttyS0

 mgetty runs all the time. I am not sure how you logged in to preload
 without mgetty already running. Then there is a line in the
 /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.conf file the reads something like this:
 /AutoPPP/ -     a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap -detach login

 that causes mgetty to answer the phone and do the authentication
 using the information in the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file.

 What are you really doing and why do you try to run mgetty after you
 are logged in?

Friendships last when each friend thinks he has a slight superiority
over the other.
		-- Honore DeBalzac
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science