Need help: X GUI objects invisible

Bruce Elliott belliott4488 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 11 13:30:03 UTC 2005

Carroll Grigsby wrote:

>On Wednesday 09 February 2005 08:50 pm, Bruce Elliott wrote:
>

>>What I'm planing to do is to resinstall the
>>smallest version of SuSE Linux that I can, in dual-boot mode (I hope
>>that won't clobber anything in the Fedora install, aside from borrowing
>>some disk space), and then to see what its xorg.conf looks like.  <snip>
>>
>Bruce:
>Rather than going through all of the hassle of installing and then
>uninstalling SuSE, it would be a lot less work if you used a live-CD distro;
>Knoppix is especially good at identifying and configuring hardware.
>-- cmg

Carroll - Thanks for the tip.  As it happens, the SuSE installer
wouldn't let me install without clobbering Fedora, so I aborted.  I was
going to do it only if it would let me resized one partition to make
enough room for a bare-bones installation of SuSE, and then to grab
whatever X components I needed.  It looks like there's a more up-to-date
xorg version that I should just try to get, so I'll follow that route
for now.

- Bruce

(BTW - you're not from Baltimore, are you?  The only other "Carroll" I
know is named for the old Baltimore family of the same spelling.  Just
curious.)