Boot & e2fsck Q

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Feb 11 14:09:13 UTC 2005

Greetings;

This machine has a 200GB drive thats used for vtapes and swap, and
when it setup /dev/hdd3 as the mountpoint/amandatapes, it set it up
for an e2fsck every 22 mounts.  Thats fine, no problem with that, but
when it does this check during a boot, there will be a line
indicating the check has been forced, followed by other lines on the
screen as it mounts some of the rest of the other drives.  2, maybe 3
more lines of that below the check forced line.

But the check is totally silent, no progress bar, no little twiddling
thumbs in text mode, nothing!  Now, for a 180GB partition, this
obviously does take a while, and the first time it happened I thought
the boot had hung and 3 fingered it a couple of times before I
discovered that the drive access led was flickering like mad.  It
doesn't face me as its under an adjacent desk

Partitions on other drives (/dev/hdax, /dev/hdbx) get the usual
progress report when they are being checked, so why isn't this one?

An rc.sysinit bug maybe?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)