FC3 vs. Windows 2000

Felipe Alfaro Solana lkml at mac.com
Fri Feb 11 20:33:06 UTC 2005

On 11 Feb 2005, at 20:20, STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:

> Dear Fedora Advocates,
>    My brother in law will be returning from Iraq
> in another couple of months and one of the things
> I am doing for him is to build him a computer.  He
> is not technically adept and his computer activity
> is pretty much limited to looking at his email
> on yahoo and a little web surfing.  Sometimes he
> prints an email or two.
>
> I am vacillating on building an FC3 machine or a W2k
> machine.

Windows 2000 is obsolete. Windows XP is obsolete. Windows XP Service
Pack 2 is insecure. Longhorn won't be obsolete, but it's a few years
away. Linux is free, is being updated constantly, is secure and has a
great community behind.

If your brother in law is going to surf the Web, listen to music and
write mails I would recommend, with no doubt, Linux.