FC3 vs. Windows 2000

Mariano Draghi mdraghi at prosud.com
Fri Feb 11 19:41:03 UTC 2005

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) escribió:
> Dear Fedora Advocates,
>
> I am vacillating on building an FC3 machine or a W2k
> machine.
>
> The advantages of the FC3 machine include no need for
> antivirus software.  Less problems with spyware. No crashes.
> and I can set up hosts.allow to allow me to maintain the
> machine remotely.
>
> The disadvantage for this application seems to be getting
> the plugins for the browser in place.  Streaming video, PPS
> files, Java applets, sound files, midi files, etc.  HP provides
> a pretty good set of drivers for Linux so printing should work
> well.
>
> The question is:  Is there a small number of places I can go
> to load the bulk of the plugins a general user might want?

There's a good howto written by EsR:
Fedora Multimedia Installation HOWTO:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Fedora-Multimedia-Installation-HOWTO/

It was very useful for me and a couple of friends. It's based on FC1,
but it translates almost directly to FC3... you just have to change the
URLs in the config files to point to FC3 repositories.

The key, IMHO, is to setup a good set of yum repositories with the stuff
that is not shipped with FC3, like f.i. Livna.org.

Best regards,

--
Mariano