which port(s) does the X server listen on?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat Feb 12 00:01:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 16:48, Douglas Frank wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 16:19 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> > 2. you will need to open up port 22 (or whatever port you have
> > configured) for ssh access on the remote system.
>
> OK I'll do that... well I just OK'd port 22 with tcp & udp both, using
> the KDE "security level" tool and although it didn't complain, it also
> doesn't stick.  On re-opening the applet, those port settings are gone.

Just a sanity check, what version of Fedora are you using on each
system?

Do you have sshd running or enabled on the remote server?  Which user
are you attempting to connect as?

Could there be allowed users listed in the sshd_config file?

And while we are at it, check the log files on both systems.  There may
be more info there.  :)

> > 3. Starting with FC3 you will most likely need to specify either -Y or
> > -X as options on the ssh session to get it to connect successfully.
>
> Thanks for the tip, although it doesn't have an effect on my present
> case.
>
> > 4. The first time you connect you will be prompted to setup an
> > certificate or key with that system.  If the machine has been locked
> > down tight you may not be able to do this on the fly, it may require you
> > to copy the certificate to the known_hosts file by hand.  But the
> > default setup should let you do this on the fly.
>
> Oops, I didn't have a key handy and just took the default, which allowed
> me in anyway.  Was that a mistake?

No, as long as you are reasonably sure there was no possibility of a man
in the middle attack on the first connection you should be fine.  If
someone does try such an attack you would be prompted that the keys
don't match and that bad things may be happening.

For the truly paranoid we install the keys manually and disable the
automatic acceptance of new keys.  :)

--

Response brought to you by AutoReponder 0.1
a product of Magic-8-ball productions.