Need help: X GUI objects invisible (i810 video)

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Feb 12 02:51:52 UTC 2005

Bruce Elliott wrote:
> Thanks!!  This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to hear.
> It's better to learn of a known problem with a known -- even if
> difficult -- solution.
> I'll look into it this weekend and post the results.
>
> - Bruce

The version of X for Suse might be older. The problem with the i810
driver happened when a newer version of xorg-x11 came out (A CVS build
thrown in during FC3Tx development, I think it was FC3T2.
  There was some fix introduced into the i810 driver that killed 810/815
video cards. The fix was related to the 830 card. (by responses to
xorg-x11 bug reports).
  When the newer version of X was introduced, it broke functionality
completely for 810/815 cards, the X server would not even come up. After
a patch was made to even get X up and running again, two new problems
crept into the mix related  to the driver and how it interacted on
810/815 video card.

1). The refresh problem that you had (not all screen seqments displayed)
- Usually worse when DRI was not active and at certain resolutions.

2). When using a screen resolution that enables DRI, ctl-alt-Fn would
cause the X server to crash.

I believe the refresh problem has been resolved. I am not too sure about
problem 2. I believe it has been resolved.

Short story, versions of X in FC2 or earlier worked fine. the FC3
version was unusable without adding "Noaccel" in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
driver section. Current versions seem to have been fixed.

Jim

--
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the
crowd.  The