Problems dual-booting Fedora Core 3 and Windows XP Pro with GRUB

Stephen Black steve at sblack.org
Sat Feb 12 11:19:08 UTC 2005

System is AMD-Athlon 64 based. hda is 120GB and contains Windows XP on
partition hda1. hdb is 60GB and contain 64-bit version of Fedora Core 3.
/boot is on hdb1 (ext3) followed by a Logical Volume containing / (reiserfs)
and the swap partition. This was the default partitioning performed by
Fedora. Grub was installed to the MBR.

Now, when I boot, I get error 17 in Grub stage 1.5. From the Grub manual
this is :

17 : Cannot mount selected partition

This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the filesystem
type cannot be recognized by GRUB.

I have a floppy which boots to a Grub shell. Now if I type in the following
I can boot Fedora Core 3:

root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
boot

and away Fedora goes. No problem.

Also, I can boot Windows XP from the Grub shell by the following:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

A few seconds later, I have Windows XP up and running.

The contents of my grub.conf are as follows:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making chnages to this file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that you
#                all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#                root (hd1,0)
#                kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
#                initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
          root (hd1,0)
          kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet
          initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
title Windows XP Professional SP2
          rootnoverify (hd0,0)
          chainloader +1

As far as I can see, these commands are the same as I typed into the Grub
shell, with the exception that
I also put a 'makeactive' command in when booting Windows from the Grub
shell. However, this does not make any
difference, so what is going on?

I have read that /boot should be on the first hard disk. Is this correct?
Why then can I boot from the floppy?
I have also read that people have had problems with 64-bit.

Hopefully some of you clever people can help here.

Thanks

Steve Black