Kernel crash

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 12 13:40:15 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 05:24 +0000, Chethiya Ranaweera wrote:

> Hey guys,
> I followed your instructions and made some improvements. But my luck ran out
> and landed on some other problems. Ok let me explain.
> Like said above I turned off kudzu and rebooted in runlevel 3. Then the
> system got stuck on cups. So I booted my old kernel and turned off cups also
> and rebooted with the new kernel on runlevel 3. This time it  booted without
> any problem and gave me the login screen.  But now I can not use my mouse or
> keyboard. The lights do not show up when I tried to move the mouse or type
> in. Maybe because I turned off kudzu before. So I can get to login screen
> w/o any problem and that's just it.... Now what should I do?

Chethiya,

How about a complete description of your system, motherboard, disk,
graphics card, memory, etc.  Excuse me if you already did, I did not see
it.

Are you up to date with the latest packages.  You're not running rawhide
are you?

In the mean time you can try adding noapic to the kernel command line,
try booting a uniprocessor kernel (if it's a SMP box).

Bob...