Intel Ambient 5628 Data/Fax/Voice not recognized in FC3

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Feb 12 17:42:19 UTC 2005

Kumara writes:

> « HTML content follows »
>
> Greetings! to List!!
>
> I have an Intel Ambient 5628 Data/Fax/Voice modem
> which is installed in Intel 865 M'd, it works in Win XP
> side but not in FC3, in the installation CD that came
> with the modem has Linux driver for it. main thing is
> I DON'T KNOW how to install it. could somebody
> help me here with steps to perform.

More than likely that disk contains proprietary closed-source drivers for a
specific version of the Linux kernel only.  Probably some three year old
version of Red Hat Linux.

Check the documentation to see which versions of the Linux kernel those
drivers are for.  This information might be in a README file, somewhere on
the CD.

This is just for entertainment's sake, of course.  I find it rather unlikely
that they'd really put the actual source code on that CD, that you can
compile with any Linux kernel.

Furthermore, you should know that a real data/fax/voice modem does not need
any silly software drivers.  I have an old data/fax/voice modem.  And I
don't need any drivers for it.

What you think is a data/fax/voice modem really isn't.  It's just a bunch of
random hardware, glued together.  All the processing is done in software
that's provided by the manufacturer.  And, if the manufacturer does not
provide you with software for your operating system, you're boned.