LVM, resize /, & FC3 defaults

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Feb 12 21:23:42 UTC 2005

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

>> Another problem with having LVM installed by default is the trying to
>> install the next release in text mode does not recognize the LVM
>> based installation.
>> the LVM is recognized using the GUI installer. This might be similar
>> to what you are running into when using the rescue CD to attempt to
>> resize the drives. A consideration might be to add a parameter to the
>> boot command to load  lvm related processes to be able to adjust your
>> lvm sizes to your desired specifications.
>

> Once booted into text-mode rescue, invoke the following commands:
>
> lvm lvscan
> lvm vgchange -ay
>
> This will scan for all LVM volumes and then will make them active and
> accessible.
>
> lvm vgchange -an
>
> will deactivate them all.

Since I don't have a linux computer at hand now, (on someone elses XP)
do you have to perform the
lvm lvscan
part only before you can chroot /mnt/sysimage when using a system
configured with LVM? I take it that the
lvm vgchange -ay
refers to activating the LVM to allow for changing and the -an
deactivates the change. I'll read and attempt to manage the LVMs when I
get to the system that contains the default FC3 lvm installation.
I messed the installation up already when installing from rawhide.
(gnome-python2 version caused python related programs to fail on the
import command.)

Jim