Need to download complete binaries and documentation

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Sat Feb 12 21:31:42 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 13:19 -0800, Matt Beals wrote:
> Thanks! I have no idea what a Yum repository is. I'm a *NIX neophyte. As
> best as I can tell, Fedora Core 3 is the best solution for a 64 bit
> environment that is free and has plenty of software easily accessible. There
> are only two AMD Athlon boxes, so I figured some CD's or DVD's would be
> easiest. I am currently working with the Monroe Correctional Complex, Twin
> Rivers Unit (Medium security) and Edmonds Community College. So what I need
> a complete set of documentation and software (as much as possible) so that
> the installations can be complete and done off line.

You already have everything that you need except the updates which you
can FTP from one of the mirrors. However, off the disks that you now
have, you will get a working, stable installation with Gnome, KDE or
both.

Many of the updates address security issues which aren't important for
machines without internet access. Therefore, I suggest that you install
the release on the machines and worry about updates later - when you
become more familiar with FC3/Linux.

Packages come with documentation which is installed by default. You'll
get plenty of help from the list.

I do a GREAT DEAL of post-secondary adult education work. Given the
importance of credibility I suggest that you get a working installation
on a personal machine first.