Installing issue with tar.gz files

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Feb 12 22:38:16 UTC 2005

On Saturday 12 February 2005 12:54, Kumara wrote:
>Hi list
>Could someone tell me how to compile/install packages that comes in
> tar.gz Ex. I have asterisk tar.gz source file but don't know how to
> install it. could someone give me steps to go ahead.
>
>I'm fairly familiar installations with rpm packages (but not
> src.rpm) hope your assistance
>Mohan

Generally speaking, a tar.gz file is going to be the srcs, not the
executables.  To install that will require that you have the
'development' packages installed into your system so that you have
the compiler and other tools required to build and install that
package on your system

Bear in mind that rpm will have no knowledge of anything installed by
this method.  That doesn't mean its 1005 bad to do, and ai have quite
a bit of stuff so installed on this system.

Anyway, if the package has all the tools in it, the installation then
is a matter of unpacking the tarball, with a command like 'tar xzf
name_of_tarball.tar.gz', then cd'ing to the directory made by the
unpack, probably the same as the tarballs name without the tar.gz on
the end of it.

Once there,  do

./configure(enterkey)

it will spit out a whole bunch of stuff while it finds the resources
it need on your machine.  When its done, hopefully without reporting
a failure, then:

make(enterkey)

When thats done, also without reporting a failure:

make install(enterkey)

Will install the program, and generally, all you have to do to run it
is name-of-program(enterkey) and it should run.

Its not always that easy of course, but the learning experience of
figuring out what went toes up, and fixing it, often with the help of
a mailing list such as this one, but who's focus is the program under
the spotlight, is invaluable, both from the learning standpoint for
you, and the level of the help available should you stick up your
hand and wave at one of the 'teachers'.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)