Dual X servers?

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Sun Feb 13 01:46:50 UTC 2005

Hi,

has anyone on this list managed to run two X servers on one system? I repaired
the backlight on an older 17" display and hooked it up to a PCI ATI card. I'm
running to 20.1" flatpanels in xinerama mode as my primary display and I
don't want to add the 17" into the xinerama setup. Instead I would like to
run a separate X server so I can have logfiles and stuff scrolling by on the
small display and use the larger ones for work.

Of course I would like to use the same mouse and keyboard on both displays but
that's not going to work out I guess - so I installed a USB mouse and
keyboard. I mocked around with my xorg.conf to make the new entries and while
I use startx to run the xinerama setup I run  "X -layout Addl :1" for the 17"
one. Unfortunatenly as soon as the second X server comes up, the first one
suspends - when I kill the second display, the xinerama one immediately comes
back...

Any ideas?

And yes - I got nothing better to do on a Saturday evening - my gf is visiting
her family :-)

Peter.

My xorg.conf file:
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Dual"
        Screen         "Screen0" 0 0
        Screen         "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option      "Xinerama" "on"
        Option      "Clone" "off"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Addl"
        Screen         "Screen2" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "Xinerama"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard1"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse1"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mouse1"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Dell"
        ModelName    "Dell 2000FP (Digital)"
        DisplaySize  410        310
        HorizSync    31.0 - 80.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor1"
        VendorName   "Dell"
        ModelName    "Dell 2000FP (Digital)"
        DisplaySize  410        310
        HorizSync    31.0 - 80.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor2"
        VendorName   "MicroTek"
        ModelName    "C783"
        DisplaySize  350 260
        HorizSync    60 - 75
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen      0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard1"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Screen      1
EndSection

Section "Device"