mounting zip disk

Chethiya Ranaweera ckranaweera at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 13 04:29:49 UTC 2005

>From: Gerhard Magnus <magnus at agora.rdrop.com>
>To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>Subject: mounting zip disk
>Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:42:07 -0800
>
>When I put a zip disk in the drive and use the "Mount" command I get
>from the right mouse button applied to the zip disk icon on my KDE
>desktop I get the error message: "mount /dev/hdd4 is not a valid block
>device.  Please check that the disk is entered correctly."
>
>What does this message mean and how can I get this zip disk mounted?  (I
>don't care if the solution involves losing data on the zip disk.)
>
>Thanks for the help!
>Jerry
>
>--
Jerry,
Is your zip disk already formatted? If it is, then make sure that you have
ntfs file system installed. Type cat /proc/filesystems and check for ntfs.
Now there could be some glitch which saw before. If you type /sbin/fdisk -l
you migh be able to see your zip drive. Compare the zipdevice name with the
one you get in the kde menu. They might be not the same. In that case follow
this:

mkdir /mnt/zip
mount /dev/zipdevice_name  /mnt/zip -t ntfs -r -o umask=0222
(Assuming you have ntfs file system and use the fdisk device name for
'zipdevice_name' )

And you should be able to mount your zip disk.
--Chet