Problems dual-booting Fedora Core 3 and Windows XP Pro with GRUB

Stephen Black steve at sblack.org
Sun Feb 13 08:06:11 UTC 2005

Thanks for the replies guys.

I believe that I forced the reiserfs option at the beginning of the install.
However, I am not sure about this. I have since reinstalled using a manual
partitioning of /boot = ext2fs; / = ext2fs and a swap partition. All of
these are on hdb.

I did use grub-install /dev/hda to install grub to the MBR.

I had the same problem as before. (Error 17 during Stage 1.5). You don't get
as far as a grub command line. You have to reboot with a floppy containing
grub which boots to the command line. You can then boot either OS by the
manual method I described in my earlier post.

However, what is really strange is that I have installed grub to another
floppy. This boots fine and presents me with a lovely Fedora splash image
and menu containing both the options in my grub.conf file. I can then boot
both Fedora and Windows XP from this menu.

Why though, does it work from floppy and not from my MBR? Obviously I don't
want a floppy in the computer every time I boot.

Steve Black