Port forwarding in Linux

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sun Feb 13 08:28:55 UTC 2005

Jared Buck wrote:

>I need a little assistance here.
>
>One of my friends tells me the reason Bittorrent is downloading so
>slowly is because a certain group of ports isn't open.  I do not know
>how to open ports in Linux.  I can tell you my computer is connected to
>the Internet through a DSL router since everyone in my family uses DSL.
>
>Could someone tell me how to open up the required ports?  I looked
>through the archives and there's no record of a question of this type
>being asked.
>
>Jared

You usually need to configure your router and your machine (in case you
configured iptables on it).
For the iptables part , use what David Hoffman posted (may need some
tweaking if you use NAT on the router).
For the router , you should check its manual for the specific details.
It usually is something like:
- login in the router config interface (for linksys routers , it's a web
interface on the router , with no username and password "admin" )
- go to the port forwarding option (some routers call this "virtual
servers") (again , in linksys routers , this may be in the advanced
settings)
- add the ports you want to forward and save the config

Be warned though.. Some routers cant handle fine the port forwarding
rules.. My NetworkEverywhere (aka linksys) router gets too hot and needs
some
reboots every two days since I added the port forwarding... (sadly , it
seems like it's a normal problem with the model )

--
Pedro Macedo