Port forwarding in Linux

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 14:01:14 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:20:37 -0800, Jared Buck <JBuck814366460 at aol.com> wrote:
> Ok, i know what Iptables is, but i don't know where to find the script
> files to input that information into it so it can access those ports.
>
> I've never used that thing so i need a walkthrough of what to do.

I can't give you much more of a walkthrough than I already did. The
six lines I gave you ARE the script.

Try the bottom four lines manually first, substituting the IP
Addresses. If it works, then put all six lines into a script, set the
addresses, and make the script executable. When you want to turn on
the port forwarding, you execute the script.

If you want to permanently keep that configuration, and always forward
the ports, then run "/etc/init.d/iptables save" which will save your
configuration in /etc/sysconfig/iptables so that next time the machine
boots, it will automatically load the rules.

--

David