sendmail modification needed for mimedefang to work FC2

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Feb 13 16:42:04 UTC 2005

Am So, den 13.02.2005 schrieb Julian Underwood um 15:58:

> I'm running FC2, with sendmail-8.12.11-4.6.  I'm wanting to set up spam
> filtering (and possibly virus filtering) on my working sendmail mail
> server.  From the posts I've read on this list, it looks like MIMEDefang
> is a good way to go about intergrating sendmail with spamassassin.  I've
> been following the HOWTO linked off of the main MIMEDefang page and ran
> into this:

Yes, MimeDefang is a very powerful milter application. I am running it
myself for quite a long time.

> In versions prior to 8.13.0, sendmail did not support mail filters by
> default, and must be compiled with filter support enabled by defining

Wrong! Milter support is compiled in already - since ages in the
Sendmail Red Hat Linux shipped and all Fedora Core release versions.
All you need to successfully compile MimeDefang yourself is the
sendmail-devel package to get the libmilter headers.

> As I do not wish to blow up my mail server, I'm asking what would be the
> best plan of attack?  Upgrade to the latest Sendmail, if yes, how?  From
> tarball?  I did not see any updated sendmail RPM's for FC2.  Or should I
> install the sendmail-8.12.11-4.6 source and rebuild it with the above
> lines?

Keep the Sendmail FC2 ships and install MimeDefang. Maybe use the
MimeDefang RPM from Dag Wieers.

> Julian

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.10-1.9_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:38:28 up 16 days, 19:08, load average: 0.29, 0.58, 0.41