Mounting USB & XP

Johnathan Bailes johnathan.bailes at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 18:52:03 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 20:27 +0000, Chethiya Ranaweera wrote:

> Thanks, it worked. But I have another question. Is it possible to mount my
> ntfs partition forever so that when the system boots that partition is
> already mounted??

Yes, you add it to your /etc/fstab

How?

1. Open the file /etc/fstab in your favorite text editor as root.

2. On a new line at the bottom of the file, add the line
/dev/Y /mnt/X ntfs users,owner,ro,umask=000 0 0

where X is the name of the directory you created in step 2.

3. Save and quit the file /etc/fstab

4. Then run mount -a and the NTFS partition will be mounted. It will
also be mounted automatically after reboot so that you do not have to do
anything after you reboot.

This will allow all users READ ONLY access to the NTFS partition. Write
access to NTFS partitions is still considered very risky (see
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#3.2 ).