fedora-list Digest, Vol 12, Issue 209

jay jason at coffmantech.com
Sun Feb 13 21:04:33 UTC 2005

Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:34:11 -0700
From: James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: machine set to "auto-shutdown"?
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>

jay wrote:
> I am running Fedora Core 3 on a desktop machine for a while now.  The
> only problem that I seem to be having is that after it has been idle
for
> a while the machine shuts down by itself.  Usually the screen saver
will
> kick in and be on for a while and then the machine will just shut
down.
> Other times I am working on the machine and it just shuts down.  I am
> not seeing an error message and the machine starts back up just fine
> without going through any of the "the machine was shut down
improperly"
> stuff.
>
> Is that enough information for anyone to help?

Yes.  First check the settings on the Advanced tab for Preferences ->
Screensaver.  There is the option in Power Management to power down
your
system as one of the settings.
Second, check your system's BIOS to see if there is a similar setting.
Where this is located varies by system.

This should solve the mysterious system powering itself off.
--
James McKenzie

In my power management the potion for powering my machine down is not
checked.  Actually its all greyed out.  I can check this box but then I
am left with setting a time and do not want to have any time limit set.
I would like to have the machine on all of the time.   I checked my bio
and there are no options for turning the machine off.  When I had
windows installed the machine was on all of the time, which is leading
me to believe there is some option in fedora that I am missing, or
something set up wrong.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason