How to get KDE system WITHOUT Gnome Defaults

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun Feb 13 22:08:28 UTC 2005

On Sunday 13 February 2005 17:43, Dave wrote:
> On Saturday 12 February 2005 10:21 pm, David Curry wrote:
> > Dave wrote:
> > >Is there any (simple) way to tell FC3 that I want all the default
> > > application handlers to be the KDE programs, not the Gnome ones? I'm
> > > sick
> >
> > In FC2, Dave, at the logon screen one may choose the type of desktop one
> > wants to run by clicking on the word "session" at the bottom of the
> > screen and then choosing the desktop if more than one desktop has been
> > installed on the system.  After reading your message, I logged off of my
> > Gnome desktop session, selected KDE desktop session, logged back on to
> > the system, launched Konqueror, pointed the browser at /etc, and double
> > clicked on a .conf file.   Kwrite opened displaying the .conf file so
> > Kwrite is the designated default helper app in the browser.  I expect
> > KDE apps are the default apps throughout that desktop.
>
> I'm running FC3. My default desktop is KDE--not by choosing each session
> when I login, but by changing the default. Nevertheless, the default
> association for Text/Plain, for example, is Gedit. The default association
> for jpeg is gnome-eog. Is there any way, aside from going through each and
> every association and manually fixing it, to tell FC3 I was serious when I
> said I wanted KDE?
Unfortunately the file associations are not automatically switched to the KDE
apps just because you chose it as your desktop. (I know, I am in the same
position).
The following may be telling you what you already know, but here goes nothing:
The only way that I know of to change this is
Settings->Configure Konqueror->File Associations.
Although you can change extensions very quickly in here. I find that I have to
do this to stop using the unpleasant experience that is Rhythmbox (anyone
know, offhand, why Juk, among other things, is ripped out of KDE in a default
FC install?).

You can also do this on a per-filetype basis by right-clicking on the
filetypes and clicking on the little 'Spanner' icon you'll see on the
right-hand side.
I have yet to find the exact file that this info is stored in. I was expecting
something in ~/.kde/share/mimelnk but there's nowt there at the moment...

An alternative is to install the kde packages from http://kde-redhat.sf.net
which should have KDE defaults set up, as well as newer, more up to date
versions, without any KDE apps selectively removed. (Unfortunately they don't
do x86_64 packages, so this time out I'm screwed without a massive rebuilding
project. Still, I might be tempted. KDE from scratch used to take about 14
hours on my old box)

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX, RTFM, ASAP