Copy files over ssh

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 13 22:48:48 UTC 2005

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> I've done some reading, but I guess I just didn't get it. How exactly is
> the best way to get a file from a machine that I've sshed to, to a the
> machine that I am sshing from? I would think there's some way better
> than ftping.

If you want to do things graphically:

In KDE:
 * Open Konqueror
 * In the Location bar, enter "fish://servername"
 * Enter your username and password.

In GNOME, allegedly (I've yet to get this working):
 * Open a Nautilus window (e.g. click on Computer on the desktop)
 * In the File menu, click on "Connect to Server"
 * Set "Service type" to SSH and fill in the blanks

But see:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-June/msg00544.html

I understand that the FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) project comes with
a SSH module, enabling you to use SSH to mount a remote filesystem right
in the Linux file tree. This is not yet really ready for general use.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | Never meddle in the affairs of Windows NT. It is
Exeter    Devon    UK | slow to boot and quick to crash.