machine set to "auto-shutdown"?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 14 01:40:36 UTC 2005

HaJo Schatz wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 22:34 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
>
>>Yes.  First check the settings on the Advanced tab for Preferences ->
>>Screensaver.  There is the option in Power Management to power down your
>>system as one of the settings.
>
> No. That setting powers off the Monitor, it does not shut down the
> system.

Thank you.  I reread it, and it says Display Power Management.

>>Second, check your system's BIOS to see if there is a similar setting.
>
> Again most likely wrong. The OP said that sometimes it also shuts down
> while he's working on the machine.

Interesting.  I guess I missed this, as I thought he said that the
system powers down after remaining idle for a period.

> jay: When the shutdown occurs, note the current time (assuming your
> system clock is dead accurate) and post everything in /var/log/messages
> from that time stamp until the machine is physically off.
>
> If your machine shuts down properly, you may want to boot with kernel
> options "apm=off acpi=off" to make sure there's no spurious pwr
> management event causing your shutdown.

Yep, this can be an ACPI problem.  I have an APM kernel for this
purpose, but my system seems to work just fine with ACPI enabled.

I even compiled a custom kernel for my IBM Thinkpad A22p so I could use
Software Suspend 2 with the custom ibm-acpi.
--
James McKenzie